Unlocking Potential of Barley Production and Improving Livelihood of Farmers through Production Accessibility and Utilization of Certified Seeds of Barley in Rwanda.
Project Name: Unlocking Potential of Barley Production and Improving Livelihood of Farmers through Production Accessibility and Utilization of Certified Seeds of Barley in Rwanda.
In 2020, the imported quantity of barley (tons) in Rwanda was 350 thousand tons. Barley imports quantity of Rwanda increased from 28 thousand tons in 1969 to 350 thousand tons in 2020 growing at average annual rate of 132.21%.
The sudden shortage of wheat, maize and other grains imported from Russia and Ukraine could spark civil unrest in Africa as food supply chains are tested again on the heels of a global pandemic, the president of the African Development Bank (AfDB) has said.
This is the reason why HoReCo Ltd, developed the project for unlocking the potential of producing barley in Rwanda through collaboration with different partners such as Rwanda Agriculture and Animal Resources Development Board (RAB), Ministry of Agriculture and Animal Resources (MINAGRI), Local Authorities, Fund Donors etc.
The above-mentioned project will cease the importation of 350 thousand tons of barley grains by different processing companies including BRALIRWA, BMC (Known as SKOL), Bakeries’ companies and other food processing organizations and these companies will get enough production of high quality and will become a source of income to the Rwandan farmers and a sort of job creation.
The main objective of this project is to create strong strategies for producing barley of good quality in Rwanda and in sustainable way.
- Strengthening the business environment of barley production in Rwanda;
- Creating the market opportunity for Rwandan farmers;
- Provision of extension services and technical back-stopping to the barley growing farmers.
During the implementation of present project, Rwanda Agriculture and Animal Resources Development Board (RAB) will be in charge for availing and selling the basic seeds to the selected seeds multipliers and HoReCo be in charge of supporting seeds multipliers by providing them the technical support. The seeds multipliers will produce the certified seeds which will be sold to the barley growers. To make the business sustainable and productive, HoReCo will avail the technical team with specialized skills to coach the barley growers about all agricultural practices required for a better production.
Once this project will be implemented, here are the expected deliverables:
- 360 Metric Tons of basic seeds procured by seeds multipliers from RAB or other certified companies;
- Area of 3,000 Ha used to produce barley in Rwanda per year;
- Between 6,000 and 9,000 Tons of barley grains to be sold by farmers to locally processing companies like BRALIRWA, BMC etc every year;
- Coached barley growers on good agricultural practices aiming to increase, qualitatively and quantitatively, barley production.