HoReCo Ltd, a dynamic organization committed to agricultural development, has successfully implemented two impactful projects in Musanze District Kinigi – the Potato Seed Production Project (PSPP) and the Barley Farming Project. These initiatives, funded by USAID through the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), aim to enhance the livelihoods of smallholder farmers and contribute to the development of sustainable agricultural practices in Rwanda.
Potato Seed Production Project (PSPP):
The PSPP focuses on developing Early Generation Seed (EGS) of Irish potatoes in Musanze district. With funding from USAID through AGRA, this project supports the Irish potato value chain, aiming to create a sustainable private sector-led potato seed system in Rwanda. The project produces three categories of potato seeds, namely Pre-Basic, Basic, and Certified Seeds.
The overarching goal is to contribute to the improved livelihood of smallholder farming communities by ensuring the quality and quantity of needed potato seeds through the development of a sustainable private sector-led potato seed system in Rwanda.
Barley Farming Project:
Recognizing the significance of barley production in addressing the growing demand, HoReCo Ltd, in collaboration with various partners including the Rwanda Agriculture and Animal Resources Development Board (RAB) and the Ministry of Agriculture and Animal Resources (MINAGRI), initiated the Barley Farming Project.
Importance of Barley Farming:
The project responds to the escalating demand for barley in Rwanda, which witnessed a substantial increase in imports from 28 thousand tons in 1969 to 350 thousand tons in 2020, growing at an average annual rate of 132.21%. The sudden shortage of other grains from Russia and Ukraine highlights the need for self-sufficiency in barley production to secure food supply chains in Africa.
- Strengthening the business environment of barley production in Rwanda.
- Creating market opportunities for Rwandan farmers in the barley sector.
- Providing extension services and technical support to barley-growing farmers.
During the project implementation, RAB will supply and sell basic seeds to selected seed multipliers, while HoReCo will support these multipliers with technical expertise. The multipliers will produce certified seeds, which will be sold to barley growers. Anticipated deliverables include:
- Procurement of 360 Metric Tons of basic seeds by seed multipliers from RAB or other certified companies.
- Utilization of 3,000 hectares for barley cultivation annually in Rwanda.
- Sale of between 6,000 and 9,000 tons of barley grains to local processing companies like BRALIRWA and BMC every year.
- Training and coaching of barley growers in good agricultural practices to enhance the qualitative and quantitative aspects of barley production.
The PSPP and Barley Farming Project showcase HoReCo’s commitment to sustainable agriculture and economic development in Musanze District Kinigi. By addressing the specific needs of Irish potato and barley production, these initiatives contribute to food security, income generation, and job creation for Rwandan farmers.